Thursday, January 8, 2009

Me and My Electric Guitar in 2009

I am a rock star this year. Me, my husband and daughter and my electric guitar. I will strum my way from January 1st to December 31st. If you like rock, you can dance to my guitar. My one resolution-to be a rock star. Most people say they will stop biting their nails, make lots of money, take up a new hobby and read the whole bible from Genesis to Revelations. For me, I will rock with my guitar.
When Somalia continues to fight, I will play my guitar. When Kenya passes a media bill that strangles press freedom, I will pick my guitar. As Ugandan fuel problems escalate, I will still play my guitar. Like the Pied Piper of Hamelin, all you begrudged folk, feeding on anti-depressants, fleeing from the landlord and boomeranging every time you hit a top, follow me as I rock on my guitar.
God played His electric guitar and I have been rocking with Him ever since. And ever since, I have felt like a rock star. Because rock stars are bold, wild and they rule. My daughter Zion looks more like the daughter of a rock star everyday. We pierced her ears, took a family photo shot and laid out a whole plan of places where we will travel around the world.
Rock stars travel. They are not afraid to see the world. Not afraid to jump. Not afraid to swim even though they don’t know the depth.

I’m a rock star.

2 comments:

Ceris said...

Rock on!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights, and best of luck with your poetry competition. I have a new blog magazine, kushinda!, which explores and promotes African arts and artists, I would be honoured if you would consider contributing something to it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ceris,
yes, i would love to contribute something to your blog.

Cheers